Biological Sciences Summer School
The Faculty of Biological Sciences hosts FREE a summer school for year 12 students who are interested in exploring biological sciences at the next level and finding out where it can lead.
As well as taking part in lectures, students will be involved in a project of their preference, getting to experience what researching is really like from start to finish. Students will have the opportunity to meet academics and current students from the Faculty of Biological Sciences and find out more about our undergraduate degree programmes and future career pathways.
The Summer School is also designed to enhance your UCAS application, with an opportunity to speak to our admissions staff, and get advice on the best way to use what you have learnt at the event in your personal statement.
What are the eligibility criteria for the summer school?
Our eligibility criteria are intended to support widening access for students who are under-represented within Higher Education.
In order to take part in the summer school you must:
- Have achieved Grade 6 or above at GCSE maths and Grade 4 or above at GCSE English
- Be in Year 12 studying Biology A level plus one other science or science-related A level
In addition, you should meet at least one of the following:
- You're from a household with an annual income of £25,000 or below OR in receipt of 16-19 Bursary Fund with an income threshold of £25,000 OR in receipt of free school meals during your GCSE or post-16 studies.
- Your parents did not go to university.
- You attend a school achieving below the national average at GCSE (Attainment 8 score).
- Your studies have been disrupted by circumstances in your personal, social or domestic life. (Except in extreme circumstances, disruption caused by the coronavirus pandemic will not be considered, please see our Access to Leeds application guidelines for further information).
- You live in an area with low progression to higher education (use our online Access to Leeds postcode checker).
- You are care experienced (this could include public or kinship care).
- You are from a Black, Asian or Minority Ethnic (BAME) background, (including Gypsy, Roma or Traveller background).
How much does the summer school cost?
The summer school is offered free of charge and includes all meals and one night in our student accommodation.
Rooms will be single occupancy and include their own private bathroom.
Students will be supervised overnight by staff and student ambassadors.